Child Health & Disability Prevention (CHDP)
The Gateway to Health Coverage
The CHDP program is a health promotion and disease prevention program serving California’s infants, children, and teens.
Eligible infants, children, and teens receive comprehensive, periodic preventive health assessments at no cost. Children and youth with suspected problems are referred for diagnosis and treatment.
CHDP preventive health assessments include:
- Complete health and developmental history
- Behavioral screening
- Lab tests for anemia, lead, TB (tuberculosis), and other problems, as needed
- Unclothed physical exam by a physician (head to toe)
- An oral examination and Denti-Cal services
- Vision and hearing screenings
- A nutritional assessment
- Health education for patients and parents
- WIC referrals for children through age 5
CHDP provider offices use the electronic CHDP Gateway enrollment process to maximize the opportunities for eligible children to enroll into state and federally funded health insurance programs.
The CHDP Gateway provides:
- Pre-enrollment into temporary Medi-Cal at no cost
- Pre-enrollment for up to two months
- The opportunity to request a Medi-Cal application to get continued coverage after pre-enrollment ends
Who is eligible for CHDP services?
- Medi-Cal clients from birth through 20 years of age
- Children from families whose income is at or below 200% of Federal Family Income Guidelines
- Children in Foster Care
- Residents of California
For more CHDP resources please visit Newsletters, Provider Resources, Links
For information contact: San Joaquin County CHDP Program at (209) 468-8335